What have I done?!

So, I follow pinterest somewhat avidly, and have tried a couple things, for example, the DIY Mod Podge

Of course, I found out after doing that DIY Mod Podge, that it is in deed a fraud in that department and should not be used for any decoupage projects other than maybe paper. I think the biggest thing is that it took so long to dry verus the actual Plaid Mod Podge and it was super runny. I decided eventually I want to sell some decoupage stuff, and thought I should get the real thing so there isn’t any issues.

I could tell the different as far as the strength, the drying time and the overall quality of it.

Obviously I did not have a nice pretty jar, so I ended up using a Kraft Parmesan container. Works just as well, but it does leak at the top when you shake it (to mix the water and glue together).

After doing a couple DIY activities from pinterest, I am trying a new one. Mod podging an image to a board (wood).

There’s the Mod Podge that I bought at Wal-Mart who I’ve found has a bigger selection on finishes than Hobby Lobby did regarding Mod Podge. I thought that Gloss would be too shiny for everything I’d be doing, and I was correct. The Satin is perfect for everything as it still has the gloss to it, but not as intense.

I work for a company that offers a Signs & Graphics shop, so I was able to print out an Avengers poster, and yes I understand all about copyright laws and how they work. Moving on, I printed out this custom size, and a couple days later, I thought, ‘how am I going to find a frame for this? I’d have to have a expensive custom frame made.’ But alas, I have come to another solution that works just as well.

There’s the poster already mounted to the wood. Basically what I did, since we just finished building our house, we had extra lumber hanging around. So I took a board, let it dry off, sanded down with a harsh sand paper to get rid of anything that was sticking up since the wood was unfinished. I then took a smoother sand paper and made it feel smooth and nice to the touch. I then marked where the board was to be cut, had my boyfriend (Dan) cut it while he was off of work then sanded down that extra edge.

I had gone to Wal-Mart and bought a can of white spray paint, which actual white paint, would work just as well. Nearly a can later, the board is covered (mostly). I let some of the imperfections show through to help give it character. I did not spray paint the back side of the board since it was going to be up against a wall.

After waiting for it to dry a couple hours, I then mod podge the backside of the image and mod podge the entire board. I only did the entire board because I thought it would feel weird if only the image had the texture of the mod podge, and I figured it would probably hold better as well.

There’s a side view to show the image on the board. You can clearly see that my board is bigger than the image, which is the way I wanted it. You can do it, where you trim down all the edges of the board to make the board fit the image or vice versa.

Here’s what it looks like drying (you can see the white streaks on the paper which will disappear once it dries) and the board itself. I’ve only applied one coat so far, but after it dries (15-20 mins), apply another coat about 6-8 times for something like this. You wouldn’t want it to come off, and the mod podge seals the top of it and helps hold it to the board. Don’t forget to do the entire board, and not just the image.

Then all you have to do is add hanging hardware to the back (I’d put two for mine) and then proudly hang and display your custom wooden poster frame.

Also, if you decide to bleed the image to the edge (being the image extends to the edge of the board), then you can sand down the edges of the print to give it a more old fashion look.

I feel like I’ve taken a step towards being Martha. >< Enjoy, and hope your results are just as good!